Corona Health and Wellness
Nalin Nanayakkara, MD
OB-GYN located in Temescal Valley, CA
Infertility affects 10% of couples in this country. Dr. Nalin Nanayakkara, of Corona Health & Wellness, located in Corona, California, uses the most advanced diagnostic techniques to determine the underlying cause of infertility and provide effective treatment.
Infertility Q & A
How common is infertility?
About 1 in 10 couples in this country do not successfully conceive after 12 months of trying, the medical definition of infertility. infertility is often inaccurately perceived as a female problem, however, it can actually be the result of issues in women or men. About 25% of infertility is attributed to multiple factors; about 35% of the time a male issue is among these. In about 8% of cases, a male problem is the only identifiable factor for a couple’s infertility
When should a couple see a doctor regarding infertility?
Dr. Nanayakkara recommends that women under the age of 35 seek a medical evaluation after 12 consecutive months of unsuccessfully trying to conceive. However, because a woman’s fertility decreases significantly every year after age 30, he encourages those in this age group to seek medical consultation after 6 months of unsuccessfully trying to become pregnant.
What causes infertility in women?
Among the most common causes are:
- Ovulation provides that prevent the release of eggs
- Uterine fibroids, polyps or adhesions
- Endometriosis, a condition in which tissue from inside the uterus starts to grow outside of it
- Being over age 35, which typically means diminished estrogen and egg quality
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Structural issues of the uterus
- Thick cervix mucus that inhibits sperm movement
- Certain medications and/or treatments
What male issues can cause infertility?
- A low sperm count
- Being overweight or obese
- Ejaculation issues
- Being over age 40
- Heavy use of alcohol or marijuana, or smoking
- Exposure to certain medications or environmental toxins
How is the cause of infertility diagnosed?
A number of tests can be used to detect the underlying issue. These include: blood tests, semen tests, and diagnostic imaging, as well as, minimally-invasive procedures in which a woman’s uterus and fallopian tubes are examined
What infertility treatments are available at your practice?
Depending on the woman’s age and the issue causing a couple’s infertility, treatment may entail:
- Fertility drugs
- Intrauterine insemination, which has a success rate of about 20%
- In Vitro fertilization, which has a success rate of 20-40% per cycle